Boy Meets Girl

Who wouldnt fall in love with a girl with a face like that?

Who wouldn't fall in love with a girl with a face like that?

I’ve never gotten along with my parents.  When I was a little kid I suppose things were alright, but ever since I made friends with the bad kids down the street, I’ve never quite seen eye to eye with my family.  This is as much my fault as it is my parents’.  If I hadn’t of been trying to do thing they didn’t want me to be doing (and usually they were things I really shouldn’t have been doing) then there wouldn’t have been this big gap developing between me and them.  However, they didn’t try very hard to stop this disconnection, nor were they very supportive or encouraging of me in the first place.

The strain on my relationship with my parents would ultimately be pushed to the limit when I decided to date Laura Diddams.  This woman, who is a year older than me, has changed my life for the better in more ways than she could ever know.  This change would take a little while to develop, and that time was not the most pleasant for me.  You see, Laura got pregnant her senior year of high school.  Her pregnancy was unpleasant and her child had many complications.  Through it all, she trusted in the Lord and on October 9th, 2007, she gave birth to David Lee Diddams.  Laura didn’t want the father to have anything to do with the baby because she had been making a mistake by being with him, and so she was determined to raise the boy with the help of her family.  Laura loved her child and did all she could to take care of him.  She named him David, after the great and brave king of biblical times.  Baby David fought for his survival as his health complications kept him from going to his home for a long period of time.  Unfortunately, the baby’s life would be cut short  as he passed away on February 16, 2008.

The cause of his death is still unclear, but medical records point towards a mistake by the doctors.  Regardless of how it happened, his death did bring about one small silver lining for all of the dark clouds it had brought over Laura’s life.  I attended the child’s funeral because I had gone to school with Laura.  I had never been that close to her, but I always like being there for people.  I would hang out with Laura at one of my friend’s house several times in the next month after he child’s death.  I began to develop feelings for this broken girl.  I admired how strong she was and yearned to help her through the hard times.

Little over a month after baby David’s death, Laura and I began dating.  I quickly fell in love with the girl and have plans to marry her now.  We’re excited to start our lives together as a married couple and are impatient for these formative college years to be over.  Though things have gone very well between the two of us, my relationship with her has caused more than a little friction between my parents and I.  My mother especially hated Laura for everything she had done, for sleeping around and getting pregnant.  She wouldn’t give Laura a chance at all.

Since that time, my relationship with my parents has experience a lot of change.  At first things were really bad.  Fights between myself and my parents broke out all of the time.  Over time I was able to make them see that Laura wasn’t a horrible person, and I was able to show them how much I love her.  Now things are finally improving, and my relationship with my parents is better now than it probably has ever been.  Through this I have found the woman I want to marry and live with for the rest of my life and I’ve finally been able to open up to my parents and get to talk to them about things that are important to me.

This story, my story, has a happy ending.  On February 13, 2009, I got down on one knee and asked Laura to marry me.  She happily said yes, and now we are planning our future together.  “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is to love and be loved.” -Moulin Rouge

BubbleShare: Share photosEasy Photo Sharing

Tags: ,